A 4-year-old boy accidentally killed his pet fish, Nemo, when he took it out of its tank to cuddle with it in bed. The boy had no clue that the fish couldn't survive out of water.
Children are often just way too pure for this world as we all can attest to. As far as these tiny angelic humans are concerned, they pretty much live in unicorn land where rivers are made of chocolate and marshmallows rain from the sky. However, this utterly pure minds of theirs can also lead to disastrous outcomes like what happened to a poor old goldfish named Nemo. Little Nemo's 4-year-old owner Everett loved his flippered friend so deeply that he ended up accidentally killing his little marine pal. The infant had no clue that taking the fish out of the water and cuddling with him all-night in bed would result in Nemo's untimely death.
According to Daily Mail, Everett's mom Tori Hamlin, from Georgia, went in to check on her sleeping son when she found him fast asleep and cradling his fish. As you can imagine, the four-year-old was quite heartbroken when his mom woke him up and informed him that little Nemo has passed away. Tori had a hard time explaining to her son that it was his adorable act of love that had resulted in the death of his pet goldfish, who had multiple names but was mostly referred to as "Nemo" by the little guy.
Everett's parents, who were baffled to find their son cradling a dead fish in his hand while asleep, were overwhelmed when the little boy revealed that he'd gotten up from the bed and fished Nemo out from his tank because he "just wanted to pet it." The boy had no idea that the tiny creature couldn't survive out of the water. Speaking about the incident Tori said, "I was shocked at first, but then when he said he just wanted to pet it I was thinking, oh my god, that's so sad. I didn't think it was funny that he killed it. He had no understanding of what he was doing. Honestly, I'm surprised he caught it. He's got some good skills there."
Tori, who is a stay-at-home mom, thinks Everett may have been able to catch Nemo because the fish had grown accustomed to seeing the boy near the tank often. "Maybe the fish was just so used to seeing him that he was comfortable with him next to the tank. He loved the goldfish. It's always been in his bedroom. He loved looking at it," she said. The doting mother revealed that her son loved to spend time near the fish tank which had different colored lights that he found very fascinating. The little boy would often spend time picking out different things to further accessorize Nemo's home.
However, this was apparently the first time Everett had ever attempted to take his pet fish out of its tank. "His tank had different color lights so he loved looking at the different colored light and picking out different things to put in the tank. He's never tried to get it before it happened that night," Tori revealed. Looking back at the night of Nemo's death, Tori said she and her 29-year-old husband Corey had put their son to bed just like they do every night, by reading him a bedtime story. The couple then went to the living room and were watching a movie when they heard some noise from Everett's bedroom.
"We called him in and asked him what happened, and he said it was nothing. We told him to just go lay down and make sure he goes to sleep," Tori said. However, when she later checked on the boy on her way to the washroom, she noticed that a little chair in his room had been moved to the right beside the dresser which was near the door to his room. She went inside to take a closer look and saw that the lid of Nemo's tank was nowhere to be found and the color-changing light was inside the water.
"I saw this light - which changes colors and usually sits on top of the lid - was in the water and the lid was nowhere to be found. I called my husband and I was like, 'Corey, I don't see the fish in there and I can't find the lid, but the light is in the tank. Come in here'. Corey looked at him and was like 'oh my gosh, he is holding the fish'. We woke him up and asked him why he was holding his fish. He said, I just wanted to pet it. So we were like, 'buddy, you killed your fish. Fish can't live out of water'," she said.
The little boy got quite upset when his concerned parents explained to him that fish couldn't survive out of water. "I didn't want to kill my fish," he said. Thankfully, Everett was doing better the next morning. "He was fine the next morning. When we asked him about it again he said, 'I just wanted to pet it'. I explained it to him again and he said, 'that's alright. We'll have to get another fish and I won't touch it. I'm only allowed to touch fish when I go fishing'. I said, 'yep, that's right'," Tori said. "Everett has to do stuff like that to learn. Not every kid listens to their parent and learns from that. Sometimes they have to make mistakes to learn from them. It's part of parenting and growing up," she added.
Tori shared the story online and it has touched so many hearts that many have offered to buy the boy a new fish. However, his parents have already given him a gift card to pick out a new fish at the pet store and the boy has promised not to touch the new fish. "I've had people from all over the place getting in touch asking if they could buy him a new fish. I don't want to take other people's money - that was not the point in the story. We'll get him a new fish. This time he can help to pick it out," she said.